With Utopia42 being a paid community, where does the money go?
Of each $4.99 subscription –
Up to $1.99 will be used to cover costs for Utopia42. My end goal is no more than $.10 per member.
After costs are removed, remaining subscription dues will go to the communities leaders that the member participates in. These dues will be divided by percentage by the time the member spent online in a community.
Example – A Utopia42 member spends 80% of their time in the newest video game craze – “Puppies and Kitties” a community lead by Martha that has 300 members, and the other 20% in a small gardening community of 30 led by Steve. Based on that months usage for this member, Martha will get $2.40 and Steve will get $0.60. If those ratios are identical for all other users then the math works out to Martha getting $720 for that month, and Steve gets $18.
In an ideal state where Utopia42 can pass on as much of the subscription as possible to the community leaders ($4.89 of every $4.99 subscription) Martha would be getting $1173, and Steve would get $29.
Over years I expect that the subscriptions to increase as Utopia42 offers additional services to it’s members (such as professional counseling, suicide prevention, substance abuse, etc).
The financial goal of Utopia42 is to provide a way for community leaders to earn some amount of income doing something they would likely do out of pure passion anyways, or if someone really wants to grow their community it is my hope to be able to provide a living wage and include benefits from the dues.